- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 large onion
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilis (these are usually mild…you could use jalapeño for more heat)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- To poach the chicken: add the meat to a large cooking pot in one layer. Add water (and spices if you want) until the meat is covered by about 1/2″ of liquid. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer (think a bubble here and there escaping) and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes longer. Remove the meat, pour off the water and let cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Shred once cool enough to handle.
- Dice the peppers and onion. Add to the pot with a spoonful of cooking fat (your choice…coconut oil, butter, bacon fat, etc), and cook until the veg are softened and a bit browned.
- Pour the chicken stock, diced tomatoes and diced chilis into the pot.
- Add the cumin and paprika. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed (this will depend on if you used low-salt stock and/or personal preference).
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and heat through.
- Serve with a chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, etc.